Providing assessment and resources for children with Autism
Autism, or autism spectrum disorder (ASD), is a developmental disorder. Roughly 1 in 44 children in the U.S. today lives with an autism spectrum disorder. It affects how people communicate and interact with others, as well as how they behave and learn. Autism can’t be cured, but therapies and support services can help a person live a productive, enjoyable life. People with autism range from very skilled to severely challenged.
FSGC provides autism assessments in Topeka for children and teens up to age 18. Staff members can provide a wealth of resources for children who are newly diagnosed. They can also make referrals for specific FSGC mental health care services, based on the client’s individual needs.
Symptoms of Autism in children
Every child develops at her or his own pace, but there are some milestones that children are expected to reach by a certain age, including babbling by four months old and being speaking in simple sentences by age two. If a child reaches these milestones later, or does not reach them at all, it may indicate a developmental disorder such as autism spectrum disorder.
Children with ASD may have repetitive patterns of behavior or limited interests or activities. Common signs and symptoms include:
- Repetitive movements, such as rocking, spinning or hand flapping
- Activities that could cause self-harm, like biting or head-banging
- Specific routines or rituals, and the child becomes disturbed at the slightest change
- Problems with coordination or odd movement patterns, such as clumsiness or stiff or exaggerated body language
- Fascination with details of an object, such as the spinning wheels of a toy car, but doesn’t understand the purpose of the object
- Unusual sensitivity to light, sound or touch but no concern about pain or temperature
- Doesn’t play make-believe
- Unusual and very intense focus on an object or activity
- Highly specific food preferences, liking only certain foods or refusing foods with certain tastes or textures
- Avoiding eye contact when speaking with people
- Deficits in social skills
Why choose FSGC
Family Service & Guidance Center is the only community mental health center in Kansas dedicated exclusively to meeting the unique mental health challenges of children, teens and families.
We serve over 10,000 children each year from more than 30 Kansas counties with direct clinical services, education and outreach. Our highly trained, caring professionals are here to help and can provide Autism assessments in Topeka to help provide care.
Don’t let little problems become big ones.
We know how hard it is to be a parent. FSGC can help. Visit the “Get Started” page now and pre-register your child for services at Family Service & Guidance Center. The sooner they get started, the sooner they’ll begin to heal.