What is ADHD?
It’s normal for children to occasionally forget their homework, daydream during class, act without thinking or get fidgety at the dinner table. But inattention, impulsivity and hyperactivity are also signs of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
ADHD Signs & Symptoms
ADHD affects about seven percent of school-aged children and symptoms are usually present before age 12. Common signs and symptoms of childhood ADHD are:
- A short attention span or is easily distracted
- Failure to pay attention to detail or makes careless mistakes
- Difficulty organizing tasks or activities
- Unable to listen to instructions and cannot carry them out
- Avoiding tasks that are time-consuming and require mental effort
- Often loses things
- Constant fidgeting
- Inability to sit still even when the situation requires them to
- Constantly on the go or running around
- Excessive talking
- Impatience making them unable to take turns
- Interrupts and intrudes conversations or activities
- Acts without thinking
- Inability to concentrate on tasks
If symptoms persist for at least six months and are disruptive to your child’s life, parents should consider exploring options for ADHD Treatment in Topeka.
Why choose FSGC
Family Service & Guidance Center is the only community mental health center in Kansas dedicated exclusively to meeting the unique mental health challenges of children, teens and families.
We serve over 10,000 children each year from more than 30 Kansas counties with direct clinical services, education and outreach. Our highly trained, dedicated professionals are here to help through ADHD Treatment in Topeka.
Don’t let little problems become big ones.
We know how hard it is to be a parent. FSGC can help. Visit the “Get Started” page now and pre-register your child for services at Family Service & Guidance Center. The sooner they get started, the sooner they’ll begin to heal.