Hear from our staff members about their jobs.
Learn more about various positions at FSGC from our staff members.
Click here to meet a Staff Clinician.
Click here to meet a Case Manager.
Click here to meet an Attendant Care Provider.
Click here to meet a Crisis Attendant Care Provider.
Click here to meet a Mental Health Specialist in the Early Childhood Intervention Program.
Click here to meet a Mental Health Specialist in the Youth Development Program.
Benefits and wellness
Family Service & Guidance Center staff members can take advantage of comprehensive, affordable personal medical insurance options that will allow them and their family to be and stay healthy. FSGC pays 70 percent of health and dental insurance for staff members. Careers at FSGC Topeka also include flexible spending accounts, which are available to assist employees with their health and childcare expenses.
FSGC also offers a 401(k) retirement plan to qualified employees, contributing 5 percent of the staff member’s salary each month. In addition, if the employee contributes 4 percent of their salary each month to their retirement plan, FSGC will contribute another 1 percent. Financial planners visit FSGC regularly to help qualified employees enroll in and develop an individualized plan that will help them achieve their financial goals.
- Three weeks paid vacation and paid holidays
- Continuing education leave and professional development budget
- Clinicians are never on-call
- Supervision for licensure (for clinicians)
In addition, FSGC is a qualified employer for those interested in the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.
FSGC also takes employee wellness very seriously. The organization offers a broad range of activities and opportunities designed to enhance staff members’ health, both mental and physical, including:
- Fun and re-energizing team and all-agency activities
- Beautiful outdoor walking paths and pond
- Christmas cookie decorating, Thanksgiving meal and other seasonal activities for staff members
- Community blood drives
- Indoor half-court gymnasium for clients and staff
- Onsite cafeteria
- Friendly, supportive atmosphere
Personal growth and professional development
Careers at FSGC involve active opportunities for learning beginning on an employee’s first day. They include:
- New employee orientation
- Management and leadership education
- Scholarship opportunities for those pursuing degrees
- Regularly scheduled didactics on a wide range of timely mental health topics for eligible employees
In addition, many positions offer an annual professional development allowance which the employee can spend on a job-related training opportunity of their choice.
Balancing personal and professional life
Achieving balance means something different for everyone – whether it’s going on vacation, meeting people with similar interests or spending time with family and friends.
FSGC offers nine paid holidays each year for full-time employees, including a “floating holiday.” Benefit-eligible employees accrue generous amounts of vacation and sick leave that increase with years of service. Staff members are also entitled to 40 hours of bereavement leave annually.
Family Service & Guidance Center has been making a positive impact on the lives of children in Shawnee County and across northeast Kansas for over 115 years. FSGC was established in 1904 to help victims of a devastating Topeka flood. The agency distributed blankets, clothing, food and even made hot baths available.
As the needs in the Topeka community changed, so did Family Service & Guidance Center’s focus. In the 1950s, the organization’s attention turned from meeting basic welfare needs to community mental health care. In 1984, FSGC dedicated itself to meeting the unique mental health needs of children and families.
Today, careers at FSGC Topeka involve providing direct clinical services, prevention education and outreach to more than 10,000 children, adolescents and families from over 30 Kansas counties each year. FSGC is an innovator and a recognized leader in children’s mental health services, employing more than 260 staff members on a centralized three-building campus and a Crisis Resolution Program building.
Family Service & Guidance Center provides a broad range of programs and services tailored to meet each child’s unique needs, including:
- Outpatient individual, family and group therapy
- Psychiatry services provided by three Board-certified child and adolescent psychiatrists and four Advanced Practice Registered Nurses (APRNs) trained in mental health
- An anxiety treatment program (one of just two in Kansas)
- Crisis services available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
- Therapeutic groups for preschool-age children (ages 2-6) with severe emotional and behavioral problems
- After-school groups for children and teens ages 6-18 struggling with social and behavioral issues
- Case management and respite care
- Transitions to Adulthood Program for young adults living with mental health issues
- The popular Happy Bear abuse prevention program
Practicum and internship opportunities
Family Service & Guidance Center offers a limited number of educational opportunities for outstanding students in mental health.
The Student Placement application deadline is:
- Fall/Spring Student Placement: Application period is February 1-April 30.
To learn about other practicum and internship opportunities, click here.
APA-Accredited Doctoral Internships
FSGC’s APA-accredited internship training program is a 12-month program starting on August 1 (or the first Monday after August 1) and concluding the following year on July 31 (or the last Friday of July). There are three paid positions available. This outstanding training opportunity provides extensive experience in the treatment of children, adolescents and their families in a community mental health setting. The program has been an APPIC member since 1997 and has been APA-accredited since May 2000. Following a January 2014 APA site visit, FSGC’s internship program was accredited for seven years. Please apply through the National Matching Services Process.